Snow storm hits Japan again, grounds over 100 flights
Tokyo: A snow storm hit Japan on Friday, disrupting rail and road travel, grounding more than 100 flights and adding to the piles left behind by an earlier blanketing.
Up to 30 centimetres (12 inches) of snow was forecast for some parts of the country by Saturday morning, a week after the heaviest snowfall in decades left at least 11 people dead and more than 1,200 injured.
Tokyo had a thin covering by early Friday afternoon and the weather agency was warning it would continue into the night.
The agency also warned of heavy snow in western and central Japan as well as strong winds and high waves along coastal areas.
The storm caused delays on the "shinkansen" bullet train services.
Japan Airlines (JAL) said it had cancelled 77 flights for Friday and All Nippon Airways (ANA) grounded 40 flights across the nation. Jiji Press said 16,000 air passengers were affected.
Forecasters said the bad weather would continue into Saturday.
Last week, as much as 27 centimetres (10.6 inches) of snow was recorded in Tokyo, the capital`s worst snowfall for 45 years.
While much of that snow had melted, the remains of larger piles as well as some slightly diminished snowmen were still in evidence across the city.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know