Snowden may have links with Chinese intelligence: US lawmaker
Washington: Edward Snowden, the whistleblower who disclosed America`s secret surveillance programme, may have been working with the Chinese government to reveal intelligence secrets, a US lawmaker has alleged.
"There`s a lot of reason for suspicion," Republican Congressman Peter King told MSNBC.
Snowden, an American citizen, is currently hiding in Hong Kong. The US has launched a criminal investigation against him for allegedly leaking the secretive American programme.
"First of all, the fact that he transferred money to China; the fact that that he had studied Chinese; the fact that his girlfriend had some connections to China; the fact that, of all countries in the world, he went to China and he arranged to have the papers or his documents released on the same weekend that President Obama was meeting with the president of China and why he`s still in China. What is Chinese intelligence doing with all of this?" King said.
"There`s no definitive proof yet. But it`s something that has to be investigated fully. My belief is that it is being fully investigated," the New York Congressman said.
"To me, people who glorify him and make him out to be a hero are just doing damage to the country, just like Snowden did. This person is not a hero," he said.
"He is a person who has betrayed this country, violated his oath and caused incalculable damage to our national security," King said.
Snowden, an ex-CIA technical assistant, exposed the National Security Agency`s vast electronic surveillance operation last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt