Snowden must stop leaking secrets to stay: Vladimir Putin
Moscow: Russia`s President Vladimir Putin says that National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden will have to stop leaking US secrets if he wants to get asylum in Russia, something he says Snowden doesn`t want to do.
Putin, speaking at a news conference on Monday, insisted that Snowden isn`t a Russian agent and that Russian security agencies haven`t contacted him.
He says that Snowden considers himself a rights activist, a "new dissident" and compared him to Nobel Peace Prize winner Andrei Sakharov.
Snowden has been caught in legal limbo in the transit zone of Moscow`s Sheremetyevo airport where he arrived from Hong Kong. The US has annulled his passport.
Putin wouldn`t say if any of the leaders of gas exporting nations attending a summit in Moscow could offer Snowden shelter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi