Snowden must stop leaking secrets to stay: Vladimir Putin
Moscow: Russia`s President Vladimir Putin says that National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden will have to stop leaking US secrets if he wants to get asylum in Russia, something he says Snowden doesn`t want to do.
Putin, speaking at a news conference on Monday, insisted that Snowden isn`t a Russian agent and that Russian security agencies haven`t contacted him.
He says that Snowden considers himself a rights activist, a "new dissident" and compared him to Nobel Peace Prize winner Andrei Sakharov.
Snowden has been caught in legal limbo in the transit zone of Moscow`s Sheremetyevo airport where he arrived from Hong Kong. The US has annulled his passport.
Putin wouldn`t say if any of the leaders of gas exporting nations attending a summit in Moscow could offer Snowden shelter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble