Snowden remains at Moscow airport: Lawyer
Moscow: US fugitive intelligence leaker Edward Snowden is still in the transit zone at a Moscow airport and his future plans are uncertain, a lawyer said after meeting him on Friday.
"He is staying here... He is here in the transit zone" at Sheremetyevo airport, pro-Kremlin lawyer Anatoly Kucherena told reporters after meeting Snowden inside the area.
His comments dashed expectations that Snowden, who last week applied for asylum in Russia would leave the airport today after reports said he would receive a document allowing him free movement.
Kucherena denied that he had been given any such document that would allow him to leave the transit zone as an official asylum seeker.
"As of today, this document has not yet been given (to him)," Kucherena said, adding that the process was being drawn out as this was the "first such situation in Russia".
He said the question of whether and when he would leave the airport was so far "undecided" although Snowden wanted to stay in Russia.
"He is more or less okay, but he is waiting for his question to be solved," Kucherena said.
"So far he does not plan to travel outside of Russia. He thanks Russia for receiving him well."
He said Snowden was starting to learn the Russian language and was planning on remaining in the country.
"He plans to stay in Russia. He plans to study Russian culture," he said. "He does not have so much money but it is enough at this stage."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends