Snowden rightfully charged in courts, says US
Washington: Rejecting allegations of political vendetta, the US has said Edward Snowden is rightfully charged by its courts for espionage and leaking classified information, and Washington is making diplomatic efforts to ensure he is brought back to face those charges.
"Snowden has been lawfully charged in US courts. As a routine matter persons with felony arrest warrants are subject to having their passport revoked. He remains a US citizen. We welcome him back to the US to face the charges against him, in accordance with due process and US law," the State Department spokesperson, Jen Psaki, said at her daily news conference.
A day earlier, Snowden had sought asylum in as many as 21 countries including India, Russia, Germany and China.
India Brazil and Poland are the three countries which have rejected his request, while many others are either reluctant or have put conditions, prompting analyst to conclude that he is running out of options.
"I`m not going to get into a list or specific country-by-country. We have been in touch, as we have been for several days now, with a broad range of countries that could serve as either transit spots or final destinations," Psaki said.
"What we`ve been communicating is, of course, what we`ve been communicating publicly, that Mr Snowden has been accused of leaking classified information. He is somebody that we would like to see returned to the US, of course. We are hopeful that that will happen," she said.
The focus is on returning or communicating the reasons why Snowden should be returned to the United States and face charges here, she said.
"I`m not going to get into what we`re communicating to different countries. Every country has their own laws, and I would refer you to any of them. I know many of them have been talked about publicly. But we have been very clear, and we feel the same way today, that he should be returned here. He would be tried as a US citizen under the allegations he`s been accused of," Psaki said.
"The case we`re making publicly is what we`re also making privately, that he is somebody who has been accused of leaking classified information, he remains a US citizen, his right place is to be returned to the US to be tried here," she said.
Psaki, refrained from answering questions on India denying the asylum request to Snowden.
"I`m just not going to get into specific countries. I know there`s a lot happening at one time and again, we`ve just been communicating with a range of countries that could be both a stopover and a final destination," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM