Snowden seeks political asylum in India, 20 other nations: WikiLeaks
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: US whistleblower Edward Snowden has applied for political asylum in India along with 20 other countries, WikiLeaks revealed Tuesday.
The asylum requests on Snowden`s behalf were made to more than a dozen of countries spanning Europe, Latin and central America and Asia, by Sarah Harrison, WikiLeaks` legal advisor to Edward Snowden.
The names of the countries, that Snowden has applied to for asylum are enlisted on the website of WikiLeaks.
According to a WikiLeaks` statement, "The requests were made to a number of countries including the Republic of Austria, the Plurinational State of Bolivia, the Federative Republic of Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, the Republic of Cuba, the Republic of Finland, the French Republic, the Federal Republic of Germany, the Republic of India, the Italian Republic, the Republic of Ireland, the Kingdom of the Netherlands, the Republic of Nicaragua, the Kingdom of Norway, the Republic of Poland, the Russian Federation, the Kingdom of Spain, the Swiss Confederation and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela".
Other than the nineteen countries enlisted on wikiLeaks`s website, Snowden has already applied for asylum in Ecuador and Iceland, bringing to 21 the number of countries where he has applied for a political asylum.
Snowden on Monday issued a statement slamming Barack Obama for blocking his asylum requests to other countries.
"These are the old, bad tools of political aggression," Snowden said in the statement issued through WikiLeaks, which has been assisting his effort to find a haven from US espionage charges. "Their purpose is to frighten, not me, but those who would come after me."
Describing himself as "a stateless person", Snowden scathed Obama administration for denying him the "basic right to seek asylum".
"This kind of deception from a world leader is not justice, and neither is the extralegal penalty of exile."
"The President ordered his vice president to pressure the leaders of nations from which I have requested protection to deny my asylum petitions," Snowden was quoted by Wikileaks as saying.
The Obama Administration has warned countries not to give asylum to Snowden arguing that he is wanted in the US on charges of espionage and leaking classified information.
The US yesterday said Snowden, whose passport has been revoked, would be given a fair trial and enjoys all the rights of an American citizen.
"We`re prepared to issue one-entry travel documents. He`s still a US citizen. He still enjoys the rights of his US citizenship, which include the right to a free and fair trial for the crimes he`s been accused of," State Department spokesperson Patrick Ventrell told reporters.
"He (Snowden) enjoys the rights and responsibilities of any US citizen, including the right to a free and fair trial under our Constitution," he said, adding that "He has a country to return to, which is the United States of America."
Snowden, who is currently stuck in a legal limbo, is sheltered in the transit zone of Moscow airport after fleeing from Hong Kong.
Russian President Vladimir Putin had yesterday hinted at a possible granting of asylum to Snowden if he stopped leaking more information.
"If he wants to go somewhere and someone will take him, go ahead. If he wants to stay here, there is one condition – he must stop his work aimed at bringing harm to our American partners, as strange as that sounds coming from my mouth," Putin said.
Putin had earlier denied that the US whistleblower was on Kremlin’s agenda. He had also denied extraditing Snowden to US, saying that Russia didn’t have an extradition treaty with the US.
Snowden, 30, had blown the lid off National Security Agency`s secret spy programme and is charged with violating American espionage laws.
Snowden continues to spew secrets after secret with the latest expose being that the US bugged EU offices and missions and embassies of EU allies.
The documents provided by Snowden revealed that Indian embassy was among one the 38 "targets" that National Security Agency snooped upon.
Earlier reports had claimed that India is the fifth most tracked country by the US intelligence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'