Snowden to leave Russia when opportunity emerges: Putin
Moscow: American whistleblower Edward Snowden will leave Russia when the opportunity emerges, Russian President Vladimir Putin has said.
"He has arrived in our territory without invitation, he didn`t fly to us, he arrived as a transit passenger to other countries," Xinhua quoted Putin as saying during a meeting with students in Leningrad region.
The president said Snowden was blocked from further travel after Washington revoked the 29-year-old whistleblower`s passport.
"They (the US authorities) scared off all other countries, so no one wants to accept him (Snowden). So, in effect, they`ve blocked him on our territory themselves," Putin said.
The president declined to comment on Snowden`s future, saying: "How can I know that? This is his life and his fate."
But he added, "Eventually, he (Snowden) wants to move to a permanent residence in another territory."
"As soon as the opportunity appears to move somewhere, he of course will do that," Putin said.
Putin also made it clear that Moscow is not going to harm its relations with the US, and that Snowden could only continue with his human rights activities "without our involvement".
Snowden met Russian human rights activists and lawyers at Moscow`s Sheremetyevo International Airport last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?