Snowden `wears disguise, in danger`: Lawyer
Moscow: US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden is living under guard at a secret address in Russia and sometimes emerges in disguise, although he remains in such danger that even a family visit could endanger his security, his lawyer said on Monday.
Snowden has avoided all contact with media since arriving in Russia on a flight from Hong Kong in June and his lawyer Anatoly Kucherena has become his unofficial spokesman.
"I am his only link with the outside world at the moment. Even his contacts with his parents are carried out through me," Kucherena said in an interview published in Itogi weekly magazine.
Kucherena gave few details of how Snowden occupies his time, but said he is able to go out in disguise.
"He would walk past you and you wouldn`t recognise him," he told Itogi.
"It`s a question of clothes and small alternations to his appearance. So I`m not deceiving anyone: he really does walk freely around on the streets."
Snowden has also made quick progress in learning Russian, his lawyer said.
"He is an extremely fast learner as far as the Russian language is concerned," Kucherena said in another interview that will air today on Kremlin-funded RT television.
"He only needs a few hours or days to learn the ropes and start speaking," the lawyer said in comments dubbed into English.
Snowden spent more than a month in transit in Moscow`s Sheremetyevo airport before slipping out and has not made any public appearance.
The 30-year-old former CIA security analyst is wanted by the United States after revealing details of massive surveillance by the National Security Agency to the media.
While describing an isolated existence, Kucherena said Snowden did not regret his decision to give up his life in the United States.
"He`s not disappointed. He believes he did everything right," he told RT.
Kucherena, a high-profile lawyer who is an advisor to President Vladimir Putin, said he is working for free, as Snowden`s personal money is running low.
Snowden`s father is expected to come, at which stage "the question of his future activities will be discussed at a family council," Kucherena told RT.
"I can`t give you certain dates but soon he will come to Russia and meet with his son. There will be him and his mother and probably one of his grandparents."
He warned however that a family visit could threaten Snowden`s safety, since US intelligence could use it to find his hideout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you