Snowstorm bears down on northeastern United States
New York: The northeastern United States prepared Thursday for snow, high winds and frigid temperatures, as a gust of wintry weather bore down on New England and surrounding states, cancelling flights.
Temperatures in New York were expected to drop to 10 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 12 degrees Celsius) with a windchill factor of minus nine degrees Fahrenheit, according to national weather forecasts.
Tracking system FlightAware said that 1,560 flights entering, leaving or inside the United States had been canceled as of midday, as the National Weather Service issued a storm warning for parts of New England and New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Heavy winter weather was simultaneously hitting the country`s midwest, dropping a blanket of snow and cancelling flights at Chicago`s O`Hare International Airport.
The northeastern winter warning was in effect in New York from Thursday evening through midday Friday, with forecasters predicting six to 10 inches (15 to 25 centimeters) of snow and winds that could reach up to 45 miles per hour (72 kilometers per hours) on Friday.
The National Weather Service issued a blizzard warning for New York`s Long Island.
The storm in the Big Apple, where forecasters expect 3 to 7 inches of snow, will pose a first test for the city`s new Mayor Bill de Blasio, who assumed his post Wednesday.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo activated the State Emergency Operations Center and urged people to use public transportation, warning of possible highway closures due to inclement weather.
In Boston, temperatures had already dropped to 25 degrees Fahrenheit Thursday morning. The state was under a winter storm warning, with strong snowfall expected until Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list