Snowstorm lashes Israel, cuts off towns
Jerusalem: Israel was on Saturday lashed by a fierce winter storm, with access to cities and towns on high ground cut off by another day of heavy snowfall.
A meteorologist told army radio the country was experiencing its heaviest snow since 1879, but also predicted the storm would end by nightfall.
An Israel Electric Corporation official told the broadcaster that some 29,000 households nationwide were without electricity, 13,000 of them in Jerusalem.
Police said 45 towns and villages in the north were cut off because of the snow, and a police Twitter feed said 200 motorists were rescued overnight.
Late yesterday, the Ayalon highway connecting commercial capital Tel Aviv to its satellite cities was closed for two hours because a river burst its banks.
The two highways leading to Jerusalem, which climb to around 795 metres (2,600 feet) above sea level, remained closed in both directions for the third day.
Most major roads within the city itself were clear today from snowdrifts, but the municipality still implored residents to stay home and not try to drive.
The military and volunteers were distributing blankets in the city and taking needy people to warmer buildings.
Two trains were set to leave Jerusalem for Tel Aviv and Haifa today at 1430 IST and 1730 IST, a rare event as public transport is normally shut down in Israel on the Jewish Sabbath.
A police spokeswoman said today that an Arab-Israeli infant died in the central city of Lod in a house fire apparently caused by a faulty heater.
And yesterday night, a 37-year-old resident of Rishon Letzion south of Tel Aviv fell to his death as he tried to repair a roof leak.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India