Social media used to spread Britain`s riots
London: Some of the text messages read like
real-time rallying calls for rioters.
"If you`re down for making money, we`re about to go hard
in east London," one looter messaged before the violence
Still others direct looters to areas of untapped riches
stores selling expensive stereo equipment, designer clothes,
alcohol and bicycles.
Most show a portent of even worse things to come. Encrypted messages sent via BlackBerrys are being used by mobs
to encourage rioting across Britain mayhem born of an
incendiary mixture of conditions that converged during
Europe`s sleepy summer vacation season.
Many of the masked or hooded youths have been
photographed typing messages on their cellphones while flames
engulf cars and buildings.
Conditions have been perfect for the unrest. Britain`s
economic outlook is bleak, youths are out of school and
unemployed, police ranks have been depleted by summer
vacations, and social media sites coupled with dramatic video
of the rioting have bolstered a mob mentality and spread
BlackBerry`s messaging system is popular among youths
because it`s free, compatible with multimedia and private,
compared with Facebook and Twitter. Its encrypted messages
give troublemakers an added benefit: Police aren`t able to
immediately trace message traffic the way they can with
Social media have been a potent force in fueling the
riots that began Saturday in London`s boroughs and later
spread to other cities such as Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds
and Bristol. Messages have also been sent via regular texts
and on Facebook. One 16-year-old boy was detained Tuesday for
allegedly encouraging violence on Facebook.
But the social networks also have provided refuge for
fearful residents and shop owners who say police efforts have
been feeble and slow. Twitter is helping to pinpoint areas of
violence, organize community cleanup groups and alert people
of alternative routes they can use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly