Socialists using Gaddafi as distraction: Sarkozy
Paris: French President Nicolas Sarkozy dismissed a report that deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi sought to fund his 2007 campaign as a ploy by opponents to distract from the weakness of their candidate in next weekend`s presidential election.
A week ahead of the decisive second round vote on May 6, investigative website Mediapart said it had uncovered a document from Libya`s former secret services showing that Gaddafi`s government had decided to finance Sarkozy`s run at the presidency when he was interior minister.
Sarkozy, whose government had played a key role in the ouster of Gaddafi last year, has repeatedly denied receiving any money from the former Libyan leader, who was captured and killed by fighters from the Libyan National Liberation Army last year.
Sarkozy said in a newspaper interview that the Socialists were using the report as an attempt to avert scrutiny of their presidential candidate, Francois Hollande, who leads in opinion polls by around 10 percentage points.
"You see that this is an attempt to create a distraction ... which will backfire on the Socialists," Sarkozy told Le Parisien-Dimanche newspaper. "They don`t want anyone to remember they want to make him (Hollande) the next president of the French republic."
He compared it to allegations made by former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn in London`s Guardian newspaper on Friday that operatives linked to Sarkozy had torpedoed his presidential bid last May by ensuring his sexual encounter with a New York hotel maid was made public.
Mediapart, staffed by a number of veteran French newspaper and news agency journalists, said it had a 2006 document signed by Gaddafi`s former intelligence chief Moussa Koussa which stated his government would pay 50 million euros for Sarkozy`s campaign.
Later on Sunday, in an interview on Canal+ television, Sarkozy said the document was a "fabrication".
"It`s a disgrace. It`s a fabrication," he said. "Mediapart is a habitual liar ... It is an office in the service of the left."
"Who led the coalition to topple Gaddafi? It was France! I was perhaps the leader. Do you think that if Gaddafi had anything on me I would have tried to oust him?"
Prime Minister Francois Fillon said the document was "false, or at least impossible to verify, which comes from a dictatorship which France helped to topple".
"It is a calumny, an absurdity," he told Europe 1 radio, adding that it was ridiculous to talk of 50 million euros to finance a campaign that cost 20 million and for which accounts were publicly available.
The Mediapart website, which gained prominence in 2010 when it broke news of a major political funding scandal around Sarkozy`s UMP party and L`Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt, called for an official investigation.
Hollande`s spokesman, Bernard Cazeneuve, said the government should provide "explanation".
Having earlier denied it, Sarkozy acknowledged on Wednesday that his government had considered cooperation with Libya in civil nuclear energy.
He raised eyebrows when he invited Gaddafi to Paris in 2007 - letting him pitch his Bedouin-style tent by the Elysee Palace - following the freeing of five Bulgarian nurses detained in a Libyan jail, largely at the French president`s personal intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'