Sodomy trial of Malaysia`s Anwar starts
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim went on trial Wednesday for allegedly sodomizing a male aide, a charge that he says is a high-level government conspiracy aimed at destroying his political movement.
The trial started in the Kuala Lumpur High Court after Anwar`s lawyers exhausted efforts to put the proceedings on hold because of unresolved technicalities, including their requests for advance access to the prosecution`s medical evidence in the case.
Judge Mohamad Zabidin Diah, who presided over proceedings, adjourned the hearing immediately as lawyers from both sides waited for Anwar to enter the court room.
Anwar is accused of sodomizing 24-year-old Saiful Bukhari Azlan, a former election worker and aide, on June 26, 2008 at a private condominium. Saiful lodged a police complaint two days later.
Anwar insists the charge was fabricated by Prime Minister Najib Razak and his government to knock out the opposition, which severely eroded the ruling coalition`s grip on power in March 2008 general elections. Najib has denied conspiring against Anwar.
It is the second time in his political career that Anwar, 62, has been charged for the crime punishable by 20 years` imprisonment in this Muslim-majority country.
Hearings for the trial were repeatedly postponed since August 2008 as Anwar`s lawyers sought to have the charge dropped, claiming there was no medical evidence of sodomy to warrant a trial and demanding that the prosecution show its evidence to the defense in advance.
Judge Diah refused to grant further adjournments, saying the prosecution can deliver its opening statements and start calling witnesses.
"We want a fair trial," Anwar`s lawyer Karpal Singh said, adding that his client should be "given every opportunity" to obtain material for his defense.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks