Solar storms join floods, terrorism as risks to UK
London: Britain has added volcanoes and solar
storms to floods, flu and terrorism on a list of threats to
The 2012 edition of the government`s National Risk
Register for Civil Emergencies says the highest-priority risks
to Britain are pandemic influenza, coastal flooding, terrorist
attacks and volcanic eruptions in countries like Iceland.
And it adds "severe space weather" as a newly assessed
risk that could disrupt communications systems, electronic
circuits and power grids.
Solar storms eruptions of magnetic energy and charged
particles are part of the sun`s normal 11-year cycle, which is
expected to reach a peak next year.
Last week, the strongest solar storm since 2004 passed
without major disruptions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal