Solar storms join floods, terrorism as risks to UK
London: Britain has added volcanoes and solar
storms to floods, flu and terrorism on a list of threats to
The 2012 edition of the government`s National Risk
Register for Civil Emergencies says the highest-priority risks
to Britain are pandemic influenza, coastal flooding, terrorist
attacks and volcanic eruptions in countries like Iceland.
And it adds "severe space weather" as a newly assessed
risk that could disrupt communications systems, electronic
circuits and power grids.
Solar storms eruptions of magnetic energy and charged
particles are part of the sun`s normal 11-year cycle, which is
expected to reach a peak next year.
Last week, the strongest solar storm since 2004 passed
without major disruptions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum