Solar storms join floods, terrorism as risks to UK
London: Britain has added volcanoes and solar
storms to floods, flu and terrorism on a list of threats to
The 2012 edition of the government`s National Risk
Register for Civil Emergencies says the highest-priority risks
to Britain are pandemic influenza, coastal flooding, terrorist
attacks and volcanic eruptions in countries like Iceland.
And it adds "severe space weather" as a newly assessed
risk that could disrupt communications systems, electronic
circuits and power grids.
Solar storms eruptions of magnetic energy and charged
particles are part of the sun`s normal 11-year cycle, which is
expected to reach a peak next year.
Last week, the strongest solar storm since 2004 passed
without major disruptions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video