Soldiers battle with extremist in Nigeria; 15 dead
Abuja: Nigerian soldiers raided a hideout for Islamist extremist group Boko Haram in northern state of Kano, sparking a gun battle that left 15 people dead.
They said the extremists were planning an Easter day attack just like they normally do on Christian holidays.
"The operatives of the Joint military task force (JTF) in Kano killed fourteen suspected Boko Haram members during a gun duel when we attacked their hideout at Yan`Awaki area of Unguwa Uku quarters in Kano metropolis,"Spokesman of the Joint military task force (JTF) Captain Ikedichi Iweha told PTI on Phone.
A soldier was also killed in the attack, a residents said, heavy explosion where heard at the area, when the security men arrived in the wee hours of Sunday.
The soldiers also claimed to have foiled a suicide bomb attempt when a vehicle loaded with prime explosives devices (IEDS) was intercepted at Yan`Awaki area of Unguwa uku of the metropolis.
We recovered cache of arms from the vehicle, Iweha said. He said one soldier also sustained injuries when the JTF operatives met stiff resistance while confronting the extremists.
"We are working very hard and security will not relent in their effort to ensure peace and stability in the state, while appealing to the people to continue supporting the security agencies in the effort to provide peace in the state," Iweha said.
Boko Haram`s attacks during Christian holidays had left scores of people killed. Last year, 41 persons were killed by the group in another northern city of Kaduna.
During an attack last year in the city of Kano, 185 persons died through suicide bombings, shootings and bomb blasts.
The group has promised to fight the Nigerian government until it concedes to its demand of allowing it to carve out an Islamic caliphate out of northern Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'