Soldiers wounded in Mauritania blast: Source
Nouakchott: Several Mauritanian soldiers were wounded early Wednesday after a vehicle they were pursuing exploded in the capital Nouakchott, according to a security source in the city.
The soldiers believed the vehicle, a pickup truck, contained members of al Qaeda`s north African wing and fired on it prior to the explosion, he said on condition of anonymity.
The blast at around 0200 GMT woke residents in the neighborhood of Arafat, about 12 kms (7 miles) from the city center, and was heard by an agency witness.
At least two residents of the neighborhood told Reuters by telephone after the explosion that they could hear sirens and could see ambulances moving through the street.
Mauritanian emergency officials were not immediately available to comment.
Mauritanian authorities had hours earlier captured another vehicle carrying explosives and weapons and detained several suspected members of al Qaeda`s north African wing, a separate security source told Reuters Tuesday.
The vehicles were believed to be among three that crossed into Mauritania illegally from Mali on the weekend. The third vehicle remained at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly