Soldiers wounded in Mauritania blast: Source
Nouakchott: Several Mauritanian soldiers were wounded early Wednesday after a vehicle they were pursuing exploded in the capital Nouakchott, according to a security source in the city.
The soldiers believed the vehicle, a pickup truck, contained members of al Qaeda`s north African wing and fired on it prior to the explosion, he said on condition of anonymity.
The blast at around 0200 GMT woke residents in the neighborhood of Arafat, about 12 kms (7 miles) from the city center, and was heard by an agency witness.
At least two residents of the neighborhood told Reuters by telephone after the explosion that they could hear sirens and could see ambulances moving through the street.
Mauritanian emergency officials were not immediately available to comment.
Mauritanian authorities had hours earlier captured another vehicle carrying explosives and weapons and detained several suspected members of al Qaeda`s north African wing, a separate security source told Reuters Tuesday.
The vehicles were believed to be among three that crossed into Mauritania illegally from Mali on the weekend. The third vehicle remained at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?