Somali comedian known for parodying Islamists killed
Mogadishu: A popular Somalia comedian, who was known for his parodies of Islamist militants, has reportedly been shot dead in Mogadishu.
Abdi Jeylani Marshale was killed shortly after he left a local radio station where he worked as a drama producer and performer.
Witnesses told the BBC that Marshale was shot several times in the head and chest by two men armed with pistols.
According to The Guardian, last year Marshale was threatened by the extremist group al-Shabaab, prompting him to go into hiding in neighbouring Somaliland for several days.
The paper quoted Yusuf Keynan, a presenter at Kulmiye Radio, where Marshale worked, as saying that ‘he had not done anything wrong to anybody, but they shot him in the head and shoulders’.
“This is a black day for the entire entertainment industry. He was a leader in Somalia comedy and everybody liked his performance,” Keynan added.
Marshale also worked for Universal TV, a London-based Somali satellite TV station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH