Somali comedian known for parodying Islamists killed
Mogadishu: A popular Somalia comedian, who was known for his parodies of Islamist militants, has reportedly been shot dead in Mogadishu.
Abdi Jeylani Marshale was killed shortly after he left a local radio station where he worked as a drama producer and performer.
Witnesses told the BBC that Marshale was shot several times in the head and chest by two men armed with pistols.
According to The Guardian, last year Marshale was threatened by the extremist group al-Shabaab, prompting him to go into hiding in neighbouring Somaliland for several days.
The paper quoted Yusuf Keynan, a presenter at Kulmiye Radio, where Marshale worked, as saying that ‘he had not done anything wrong to anybody, but they shot him in the head and shoulders’.
“This is a black day for the entire entertainment industry. He was a leader in Somalia comedy and everybody liked his performance,” Keynan added.
Marshale also worked for Universal TV, a London-based Somali satellite TV station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray