Somali commits suicide after Italy denies asylum
Rome: A Somali migrant leapt to his death from an apartment building in Italy`s central city of Florence, after authorities reportedly refused to grant him asylum in the country.
The 31-year-old died instantly after he plummeted 20 metres from the third floor and hit the ground below.
He had arrived in the tiny southern island of Lampedusa island in 2011 aboard a boat from North Africa. Thousands of African migrants fled that year amid the Arab Spring uprisings.
The man was living in squalid conditions in a derelict apartment and was depressed, members of the Somali community in Florence told the La Repubblica daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan