Somali commits suicide after Italy denies asylum
Rome: A Somali migrant leapt to his death from an apartment building in Italy`s central city of Florence, after authorities reportedly refused to grant him asylum in the country.
The 31-year-old died instantly after he plummeted 20 metres from the third floor and hit the ground below.
He had arrived in the tiny southern island of Lampedusa island in 2011 aboard a boat from North Africa. Thousands of African migrants fled that year amid the Arab Spring uprisings.
The man was living in squalid conditions in a derelict apartment and was depressed, members of the Somali community in Florence told the La Repubblica daily.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro
- Terror attack foiled in Saudi Arabia
- US puts Germany, China on watchlist for economic surpluses