Somali gunmen kill Swedish politician, wound woman
Mogadishu (Somalia): Unidentified gunmen shot and killed one Swedish politician and wounded another in a drive-by shooting on Thursday outside a university in Mogadishu, said police in Somalia.
The assailants in a car opened fire on the vehicle and no group immediately claimed responsibility, said Capt Ali Hussein, a senior police officer.
Swedish state broadcaster SVT reported the deceased was Abdirahim Hassan, a 24-year-old member of the youth wing of Sweden`s Left party. Ann-Margarethe Livh, a group leader for the Left Party in Stockholm, was injured in the attack.
She was being treated at a hospital run by African Union forces, said Hussein.
Livh had delivered a lecture to students before the attack, said Mohamed Abdullahi, a student at Somalia University. Hassan had been her translator.
Students at the university gathered near the scene of the attack. Soldiers opened fire to disperse the crowd.
Security in the Somali capital has improved over the last two years but intermittent attacks are still somewhat frequent.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!