Somali gunmen kill Swedish politician, wound woman
Mogadishu (Somalia): Unidentified gunmen shot and killed one Swedish politician and wounded another in a drive-by shooting on Thursday outside a university in Mogadishu, said police in Somalia.
The assailants in a car opened fire on the vehicle and no group immediately claimed responsibility, said Capt Ali Hussein, a senior police officer.
Swedish state broadcaster SVT reported the deceased was Abdirahim Hassan, a 24-year-old member of the youth wing of Sweden`s Left party. Ann-Margarethe Livh, a group leader for the Left Party in Stockholm, was injured in the attack.
She was being treated at a hospital run by African Union forces, said Hussein.
Livh had delivered a lecture to students before the attack, said Mohamed Abdullahi, a student at Somalia University. Hassan had been her translator.
Students at the university gathered near the scene of the attack. Soldiers opened fire to disperse the crowd.
Security in the Somali capital has improved over the last two years but intermittent attacks are still somewhat frequent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company