Somali gunmen kill Swedish politician, wound woman
Mogadishu (Somalia): Unidentified gunmen shot and killed one Swedish politician and wounded another in a drive-by shooting on Thursday outside a university in Mogadishu, said police in Somalia.
The assailants in a car opened fire on the vehicle and no group immediately claimed responsibility, said Capt Ali Hussein, a senior police officer.
Swedish state broadcaster SVT reported the deceased was Abdirahim Hassan, a 24-year-old member of the youth wing of Sweden`s Left party. Ann-Margarethe Livh, a group leader for the Left Party in Stockholm, was injured in the attack.
She was being treated at a hospital run by African Union forces, said Hussein.
Livh had delivered a lecture to students before the attack, said Mohamed Abdullahi, a student at Somalia University. Hassan had been her translator.
Students at the university gathered near the scene of the attack. Soldiers opened fire to disperse the crowd.
Security in the Somali capital has improved over the last two years but intermittent attacks are still somewhat frequent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog