Somali Islamists behead 11 civilians in capital
Mogadishu: Somali Islamist rebels have
beheaded at least 11 civilians in the capital in the past two
weeks, a campaign of terror that residents said on Friday is
designed to show the insurgency can still act in Mogadishu
after withdrawing from their bases there earlier this month.
"We wake up with beheaded bodies on the streets every
day," said Abdinur Marwan, who lives in a district of
Mogadishu called Hewila. "They call themselves Muslims while
doing what Allah banned! Everyone is trying to leave here
because people are being killed like goats."
The Islamist al-Shabab militia withdrew from their bases
in the Somali capital after being steadily pushed back by more
heavily armed African Union forces supporting the UN-backed
Somali government. The Islamists described the withdrawal as a
"tactical retreat" and said they would still carry out
operations in the capital.
Resident Afrah Abdikhayre said five decapitated bodies
were found in his Suqa Holaha area last week. He says two
beheaded men in Somali government uniforms and another three
headless bodies were found this week.
Resident Nur Sugow said al-Shabab beheaded a donkey cart
driver in the Yaqshid district. Al-Shabab frequently carries
out beheadings and amputations.
The militia also executed two men and a 16-year-old boy
by firing squad on Tuesday after accusing them of spying.
Residents some to terrified to give their names appealed to
the Somali government and AU troops to secure their
neighbourhood. Although al-Shabab has pulled back, individual
fighters are still active in the city and gunfire is still
Somalia has been without a functioning government since
1991 and at least five of its districts are suffering from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015