Somali Islamists storm broadcaster
Nairobi: Fighters with Somalia`s Islamist Al-Shabaab militia stormed the headquarters of radio and TV broadcaster in the capital Mogadishu over the weekend, reported the online portal maareg.com on Sunday.
The rebels, who are working to overthrow a weak, Western-backed government, confiscated technical materials from the Horn Afrik broadcaster and destroyed audio tapes and cassettes.
Separately, fighters with the Hizbul Islam militia occupied the building of the GBC broadcaster over the weekend.
The militias have repeatedly threatened journalists and forbidden music programmes. Horn Afrika had stuck to the ban on music. The rebels themselves run multiple propaganda broadcasters in the large parts of Somalia they control.
The Western-backed government of Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed only controls a few districts of Mogadishu.
Nine journalists were killed last year in Somalia, while many others were injured in targeted attacks. Two have died so far this year, while many others have been the targets of threats.
Al-Shabaab has ties to the international al Qaeda network and hopes to create an Islamist state in Somalia. Somalia has not had a functioning government since 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days