Somali lawmaker assassinated, Shebab claim responsibility
Mogadishu: Somalia`s al Qaeda-linked Shebab claimed responsibility for shooting dead a lawmaker and wounding another today, the latest in a surge of attacks in Mogadishu during Islam`s holy month of Ramadan.
"This was a targeted assassination. We also wounded another MP and two body guards," Shebab spokesman Abdulaziz Abu Musab said.
Witness said MP Ahmed Mohamud Hayd, a former minister and a senior army commander, was killed in the capital`s port district, one of the most heavily policed areas in the heart of the city.
Gunmen in a car opened fire on the lawmakers as they left a hotel, spraying bullets at the small group of people.
"We will continue to hunt other MPs if they do not leave the apostate organisation," Abu Musab added.
The Shebab have vowed to intensify attacks during Ramadan.
"They were going to attend a parliament session when they have come under attack, one of the lawmakers was confirmed dead," fellow MP Abdi Bare Yusuf told reporters after the attack.
Shebab fighters fled fixed positions in Mogadishu three years ago and have since lost most large towns to a 22,000-strong UN-backed African Union force, fighting alongside government soldiers.
But they still hold sway in vast swathes of the rural hinterland from which they regularly launch guerrilla raids.
Recent Shebab attacks in Somalia have targeted key areas of government, or the security forces, in an apparent bid to discredit claims by the authorities and AU troops that they are winning the war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy