Somali pirates free Italian tanker hijacked in Feb
Rome: Somali pirates have freed an Italian oil tanker hijacked in February with five Italians and 17 Indians on board after nearly 11 months in captivity, the Italian government said on Wednesday.
Prime Minister Mario Monti "expressed his great
satisfaction for the release of the Italian ship Savina Caylyn
and the crew," it said in a statement.
The crew and their families had faced "a harsh test" over
the past months, it added, without providing details on how
the ship came to be released.
The 105,000-ton tanker owned by Naples shipping company
Fratelli D`Amato was seized on February 8 after five pirates
aboard a skiff opened fire with rocket launchers and
submachine guns near the Yemeni island of Socotra.
The ship had tried to evade capture by speeding up,
suddenly changing gear and firing powerful water jets on the
The ship was on its way from Sudan to Malaysia and was
carrying a load of crude oil for the Arcadia commodities
The Savina Caylyn was the last Italian ship in Somali
A merchant ship captured in April off the coast of Oman
with six Italians and 15 Filipinos on board was released in
November after a ransom was reportedly paid, dropped off from
a small plane into pirate hands.
In October, British and US commandos raided a hijacked
Italian vessel, capturing the pirates and freeing the
carrier`s crew of 23 including seven Italians, 10 Ukrainians
and six Indians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015