Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship
Nairobi: Somali pirates have hijacked a Libyan cargo ship with 17 crewmembers on board, an official said on Thursday.
The North Korean-flagged MV Rim was hijacked on Wednesday in the Gulf of Aden off the coast of Yemen, said Andrew Mwangura, East Africa coordinator of Seafarers Assistance Programme.
"We received reports that the MV Rim was hijacked on Wednesday morning in the Gulf of Aden, outside the internationally recommended transit corridor patrolled by the anti-piracy naval coalition. The ship has 17 crewmembers," Mwangura told Xinhua on phone from Mombasa.
The 4,800-tonne MV Rim is owned by Libya`s White Sea Shipping company and was heading towards the Somali coast when it was hijacked. The MV Rim is the third ship seized by Somali pirates this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'