Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship
Nairobi: Somali pirates have hijacked a Libyan cargo ship with 17 crewmembers on board, an official said on Thursday.
The North Korean-flagged MV Rim was hijacked on Wednesday in the Gulf of Aden off the coast of Yemen, said Andrew Mwangura, East Africa coordinator of Seafarers Assistance Programme.
"We received reports that the MV Rim was hijacked on Wednesday morning in the Gulf of Aden, outside the internationally recommended transit corridor patrolled by the anti-piracy naval coalition. The ship has 17 crewmembers," Mwangura told Xinhua on phone from Mombasa.
The 4,800-tonne MV Rim is owned by Libya`s White Sea Shipping company and was heading towards the Somali coast when it was hijacked. The MV Rim is the third ship seized by Somali pirates this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug