Somali pirates hijack Panamanian cargo ship: Yemen
Sana`a: Yemen`s coast guard says Somali pirates have hijacked a Panamanian cargo ship in the treacherous Gulf of Aden between the Arabian Peninsula and the Horn of Africa.
A coast guard official says the Red Sea Spirit was carrying an unknown number of crew when it was hijacked on Friday morning 36 nautical miles from the Yemeni port of Balhaf.
He says the ship sent the coast guard a distress signal and a vessel from the international naval force patrolling the pirate-infested region has been dispatched to the area.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to media.
Poverty and hunger in Somalia are driving up the number of pirate attacks in the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'