Somali pirates hijack Panamanian cargo ship: Yemen
Sana`a: Yemen`s coast guard says Somali pirates have hijacked a Panamanian cargo ship in the treacherous Gulf of Aden between the Arabian Peninsula and the Horn of Africa.
A coast guard official says the Red Sea Spirit was carrying an unknown number of crew when it was hijacked on Friday morning 36 nautical miles from the Yemeni port of Balhaf.
He says the ship sent the coast guard a distress signal and a vessel from the international naval force patrolling the pirate-infested region has been dispatched to the area.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to media.
Poverty and hunger in Somalia are driving up the number of pirate attacks in the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town