Somali pirates hijack Saudi oil tanker going to US
Nairobi: Somali pirates seized a tanker carrying crude oil from Saudi Arabia to the United States in the increasingly dangers waters off East Africa, an official said on Monday, an attack that could pose a huge environmental or security threat to the region.
The Greek-owned Maran Centaurus was hijacked yesterday about 1,300 kilometers off the coast of Somalia, said Cmdr John Harbour, a spokesman for the EU Naval Force. Harbour said there were 28 crew members on board the 300,000-ton ship.
Pirates have increased attacks on vessels off East Africa for the millions of dollars of ransom that can be had. Though pirates have successfully hijacked dozens of vessels the last several years, yesterday`s attack appears to be only the second ever on an oil tanker.
In November 2008, pirates hijacked the Saudi supertanker Sirius Star, which held 2 million barrels of oil valued at about USD 100 million. The tanker was released last January for a reported USD 3 million ransom.
Pirates now hold about a dozen vessels hostage and more than 200 crew members. The Maran Centaurus had 28 crew aboard -- 16 Filipinos, nine Greeks, two Ukrainians and one Romanian.
Piracy has increased despite an increased presence by international navies patrolling the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden. The US this fall began flying sophisticated drones over East African waters as part of the fight against piracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price