Somali pirates, security personnel in 3 shootouts
Nairobi: Maritime officials say pirates have
clashed with private security and military personnel in three
separate incidents off the Somali coast in the latest
indicator of rising pirate attacks.
Cmdr. John Harbour of the EU Naval Force says two
incidents today involved French military personnel. The
Spanish Defense Ministry says a third incident involved
Spanish private security guards and military.
The attacks come one day after a Spanish fishing vessel
caught fire after pirates launched a rocket-propelled grenade
Harbour says pirates are beginning to attack in larger
numbers because the monsoon season off the Somali coast has
ended, resulting in calmer waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers