Somali pirates seize cargo ship with 22 crew
Nairobi: The European Union Naval Force says
Somali pirates have seized a cargo ship in the Indian Ocean
with 22 crew members on board.
Naval spokesman Cmdr John Harbour says that there are
three Greeks and 19 Filipinos among the crew of the
Greek-owned Filitsa. The ship, which was seized on Wednesday, is
registered in the Marshall Islands.
Pirates have increased their attacks since the end of the
monsoon season last month. They are now holding at least 12
ships and more than 200 hostages.
Pirates can often command multimillion-dollar ransoms for
the release of the vessels they capture, a fortune in
impoverished Somalia. The failed state has not had a
functioning government for a generation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video