Somali pirates seize ship with 20 Filipino crew
Nairobi (Kenya): The European Union Naval
Force says Somali pirates have seized a ship with 20 Filipino
crew members onboard.
Lt Col Per Klingvall said on Monday that the owners of the
Panama-flagged Izumi received an automatically released
distress signal yesterday afternoon, indicating the vessel was
likely under attack by pirates.
A Danish warship was sent to investigate and made
contact with the Izumi`s captain, who reported that the ship
was under pirate control.
Yuki Shimoda, an official at Japan`s Transport
Ministry, said the Japanese-owned vessel was headed from Japan
via Singapore to the Kenyan port of Mombasa.
A French warship is now in the Indian Ocean monitoring
the situation as the Izumi heads toward Somalia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins