Somali pirates seize ship with 20 Filipino crew
Nairobi (Kenya): The European Union Naval
Force says Somali pirates have seized a ship with 20 Filipino
crew members onboard.
Lt Col Per Klingvall said on Monday that the owners of the
Panama-flagged Izumi received an automatically released
distress signal yesterday afternoon, indicating the vessel was
likely under attack by pirates.
A Danish warship was sent to investigate and made
contact with the Izumi`s captain, who reported that the ship
was under pirate control.
Yuki Shimoda, an official at Japan`s Transport
Ministry, said the Japanese-owned vessel was headed from Japan
via Singapore to the Kenyan port of Mombasa.
A French warship is now in the Indian Ocean monitoring
the situation as the Izumi heads toward Somalia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Ashutosh Gowariker, Kay Kay Menon launch Raj Supe's new book
- Sunil Munjal to step down from Hero MotoCorp Board on August 16
- 'Munnabhai' third part delayed due to Sanjay Dutt biopic: Arshad Warsi
- Companies likely to raise about $75 bn through issuance of green bonds in 2016
- Mayawati slur row: No relief for expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh from Allahabad HC