Somali pirates seize ship with 20 Filipino crew
Nairobi (Kenya): The European Union Naval
Force says Somali pirates have seized a ship with 20 Filipino
crew members onboard.
Lt Col Per Klingvall said on Monday that the owners of the
Panama-flagged Izumi received an automatically released
distress signal yesterday afternoon, indicating the vessel was
likely under attack by pirates.
A Danish warship was sent to investigate and made
contact with the Izumi`s captain, who reported that the ship
was under pirate control.
Yuki Shimoda, an official at Japan`s Transport
Ministry, said the Japanese-owned vessel was headed from Japan
via Singapore to the Kenyan port of Mombasa.
A French warship is now in the Indian Ocean monitoring
the situation as the Izumi heads toward Somalia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players