Somali pirates seize ship with 20 Filipino crew
Nairobi (Kenya): The European Union Naval
Force says Somali pirates have seized a ship with 20 Filipino
crew members onboard.
Lt Col Per Klingvall said on Monday that the owners of the
Panama-flagged Izumi received an automatically released
distress signal yesterday afternoon, indicating the vessel was
likely under attack by pirates.
A Danish warship was sent to investigate and made
contact with the Izumi`s captain, who reported that the ship
was under pirate control.
Yuki Shimoda, an official at Japan`s Transport
Ministry, said the Japanese-owned vessel was headed from Japan
via Singapore to the Kenyan port of Mombasa.
A French warship is now in the Indian Ocean monitoring
the situation as the Izumi heads toward Somalia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad