Somali radio quiz winners offered grenades, guns and ammunition
Mogadishu: Winners of a Somali radio quiz show testing knowledge of the Koran are being offered prizes including grenades, Kalashnikov rifles and ammunition, according to a local report.
The prizes offered by an Islamic broadcaster in the port of Kismayo were designed to "encourage the population to fight", according to the report by independent Radio Garowe radio station.
It quoted Sheikh Abdiwali Mohammed Aden, financial head of the radical Islamic al-Shabab militia, which seeks to depose the moderate Islamic interim government of Sheikh Sharif Ahmed.
Kismayo port is controlled by al-Shabab, which the US and several other countries have black-listed as a terrorist organisation with links to al Qaeda.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India