Somalia: 15 dead, 25 injured in fresh clashes
Mogadishu: At least 15 civilians died and 25 others were wounded in a heavy fighting in the Somali capital Mogadishu overnight, officials said on Saturday.
The clashes are between Islamist insurgents Al-Shabaab, and the weak Western-backed government, backed by African Union peacekeepers.
Fighting this week has already claimed dozens of lives.
"We have so far collected 25 wounded people since last night," Ali Muse Sheikh, head of Mogadishu ambulances told a news agency on Saturday.
"Our staff have reported that 15 corpses have been seen in different parts mostly around Bakara area with shrapnel wounds."
Government troops accompanied by Africa Union Soldiers were still battling on Saturday with the armed Islamists at the strategic road that links the presidential palace and Mogadishus main airport.
The terrorist elements have consecutively attacked our positions at Maka Almukarama road but we repelled them back" Colonel Ahmed Saleeban Abdi, a government security officer, told the news agency by phone on Saturday.
"We should soon clear out these elements from Mogadishu," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read