Somalia says working with foreign partners on terror no secret
Mogadishu: Somalia said on Sunday it was "not a secret" it is working with foreign governments to fight terror and described the country`s al Qaeda-linked Shebab militants as a threat to the world.
Prime Minister Abdi Farah Shirdo was commenting after US commandos launched a raid against Shebab militants in Somalia, in tandem with a strike against a wanted al Qaeda leader in Libya.
"Our cooperation with international partners on fighting against the terrorism is not a secret," Farah Shirdo said. "Understand me, that fighting is not a secret. And our interest is to get a peaceful Somalia and free from terrorism and problems."
US forces launched a pre-dawn raid against an unidentified Shebab leader`s home in the southern Somali port of Barawe yesterday, but failed to capture him.
It was unclear whether he had been killed, but a US official said several Shebab members had been slain.
The operation was the most significant US assault in Somalia since commandos killed key al Qaeda operative Saleh Ali Saleh Nabhan in the same area four years ago.
It followed an attack by Shebab gunmen last month on the upscale Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi that left 67 people dead during a bloody four-day siege.
"Al-Shebab is a threat to us and neighbouring countries," Farah Shirdo said. "Al-Shebab is recognised as a terror group by world countries. Therefore, Al-Shebab is a problem for Somalia, its neighbours and the world."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city