Somalia: Strike on car kills foreign militants
Mogadishu: At least three foreign militants of the al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab rebels were killed in a strike on a car in a rebel stronghold in southern Somalia early on Friday, a senior Somali intelligence official and residents said.
The intelligence official, who declined to be named, said he was investigating reports that the explosion could have been caused by an airstrike or missile attack on a car carrying foreign fighters.
"At least three foreign militants were killed in the explosion, and we are investigating if it was air strikes or a missile and whether there are more casualties," the intelligence official said.
Residents said the strike took place in the lower Shabelle region, 60 km south of the capital Mogadishu.
A missile launched from an unmanned aircraft killed a foreign fighter with al Shabaab on January 21, which the militant group said came from a US drone.
It was not possible to independently verify that report. The United States never comments officially on drone strikes.
At a London conference aimed at energising attempts to end more than 20 years of anarchy in Somalia, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday cautioned that Western air strikes on al Shabaab-held zones.
Al Shabaab rebels are also fighting troops from Kenya, which has carried out frequent air strikes on militant bases in southern Somalia after launching an incursion to hunt down the insurgents whom it accuses of cross-border attacks.
Kenya`s military spokesman was not available to comment.
The Somali government says hundreds of foreign fighters have joined the Islamist insurgency from Afghanistan, Pakistan and the Gulf region, and Western nations such as the United States and Britain.
Some of them have taken up senior positions within al Shabaab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj