Somalia`s new President unhurt in Mogadishu blasts
Mogadishu: A day after the election of Somalia`s new President, two explosions at the gate of his temporary residence killed at least five people and wounded three others on Wednesday, witnesses and officials said.
The blasts took place as Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud was holding a press conference in the building, the Jazeera Hotel, with visiting Kenyan Foreign Minister Sam Ongeri.
Al-Shabab, a radical Islamist militia that is affiliated with al Qaeda and which is waging an insurgency against the Somali government, quickly claimed responsibility for the attack. Al-Shabab had opposed Mohamud`s election, saying it had been manipulated by western powers.
At least five people were killed in the blast, according to witness Mohammed Nuradin. An African Union soldier was among those killed in the blast and 3 others were wounded in the incident, said African Union force spokesman Colonel Ali Aden.
African Union forces are helping the Somalia government fight al-Shabab, which the US has designated as terrorist group, and which neighboring African countries consider a threat.
Police corporal Yusuf Ali said that he was guarding the Somalia immigration department near the Jazeera hotel when two blasts occurred.
A news agency’s photographer inside Jazeera Hotel for the president`s press conference with the Kenyan minister said the two were safe. He said he saw at least five bodies near the gate of the hotel.
Mohamud was elected Monday, beating Sheik Shariff Sheikh Ahmed who was seeking re-election after leading a transitional government for three years.
Mohamud is expected to form a fully functioning government for Somalia which has not had one since 1991 when a longtime dictator was overthrown.
Mohamud has taken up temporary residence at Jazeera Hotel in a highly protected zone near the airport before moving in to the presidential palace.
Al-Shabab militants, though evicted from Mogadishu, still penetrate the seaside capital to carry out suicide attacks.
One such attack took place last month as Somali elders voted in a new internationally backed constitution that guarantees more rights for women and children. The bombers were stopped at the gates and no one except the two attackers was killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks