Some children in Newtown returning to school
Newtown (US): Most children returned to school for the first time today in Newtown, as the toll of funerals for the 26 dead continued.
At least one funeral was planned for one of the 20 young students 6-year-old Jessica Rekos as well as several wakes, including one for teacher Victoria Soto, who has been praised as a hero for sacrificing herself to save several students in one of the worst mass shootings in US history.
Security remained high, and the small, affluent Connecticut community was still on edge.
Across the United States, the conversation about what to do to prevent more gun massacres continued.
And the mystery of why a smart but severely withdrawn 20-year-old, Adam Lanza, shot his mother to death in bed Friday before rampaging through a school, killing 20 children ages 6 and 7, was as deep as ever.
The first two children, including the youngest victim, were buried yesterday, the first of a long, almost unbearable procession of funerals as the rest of the country prepared for the Christmas holidays.
Classes resumed today for Newtown schools except those at Sandy Hook, where the school is located and will remain closed indefinitely.
"It`s the right thing to do. You have to send your kids back. But at the same time I`m worried," said Dan Capodicci, whose 10-year-old daughter attends another local school. "We need to get back to normal."
Investigators say Lanza had no ties to the school he attacked, and they have found no letters or diaries that could explain why he targeted it. He forced into the school Friday morning, wearing all black, and is believed to have used a Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle, a civilian version of the military`s M-16. Versions of the AR-15 were outlawed in the US under the 1994 assault weapons ban, but the law expired in 2004.
Debora Seifert, a spokeswoman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said both Lanza and his mother fired at shooting ranges and visited ranges together.
The outlines of a national debate on gun control took shape. At the White House, spokesman Jay Carney said curbing gun violence is a complex problem that will require a "comprehensive solution." He did not offer specific proposals or a timeline.
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, perhaps the most outspoken advocate for gun control in US politics, again pressed Obama and Congress to toughen gun laws and tighten enforcement.
"If this doesn`t do it," he asked, "what is going to?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh