Some flights cancelled to Egypt, others half-empty
Cairo: Cairo airport officials say seven flights to Egypt have been cancelled and that others are arriving with less than 50 per cent occupancy following weekend clashes that killed 84 people.
Passengers from Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Italy as well as Syria and Lebanon were rerouted today onto other planes because of low seat occupancy.
Fewer passengers are coming from Damascus and Beirut because Syrians escaping the war in their country now need visas for Egypt following changes to security rules.
Officials say that more than 55 percent of seats on flights to Cairo have been empty over the past three days. They spoke anonymously as they weren`t allowed to brief the media.
Political turmoil over the past 2.5 years has hurt tourism in Egypt, weakening the country`s economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday