Son of N Korean leader `attends Clapton concert`
Seoul: Son of the North Korean leader Kim
Jong-Il attended a concert in Singapore this week by British
guitarist Eric Clapton, a South Korean intelligence official
told an agency on Wednesday.
The official, who declined to be identified, confirmed
news reports in Seoul of the visit by Kim Jong-Chol, second
son of the leader of the hardline communist state.
Jong-Chol, wearing black trousers and a T-shirt, was
seen cheering and swaying among fans at Monday`s performance
in the Singapore Indoor Stadium, Chosun Ilbo newspaper said.
TV footage showed a man resembling Jong-Chol entering
the stadium with an entourage of some 20 people including
bodyguards and women carrying bouquets. He took pictures in
front of the stage and chatted with a female companion.
Jong-Chol arrived in Singapore early this month and
checked into a smart hotel, Chosun said.
Sporting pierced ears, he toured Universal Studios
theme park, Underwater World and bought expensive jewellery,
Chosun said, adding that he flew home via Beijing after
attending the concert and buying T-shirts.
He bought gifts for Kim Jong-Il and left Singapore
yesterday, a day before the birthday of his father, Yonhap
news agency quoted a diplomatic source as saying.
Jong-Chol, 30, has been passed over as
leader-in-waiting in favour of his younger brother Jong-Un.
Their father considered Jong-Chol too effeminate, according to
a report by a former sushi chef to the leader.
He reportedly last attended Clapton concerts in 2006
when he followed the British star`s performances in four
German cities, accompanied by his apparent girlfriend or wife
and North Korean bodyguards.
The leader`s eldest son Jong-Nam was born to a
He apparently dropped out of contention as future
leader after he was caught sneaking into Japan with a bogus
passport in 2001 with a woman and child believed to be his
wife and son.
He reportedly said he wanted to visit Tokyo
Jong-Nam`s teenage son was seen in 2009 among cheering
fans who packed a concert in Macau by top South Korean pop
star Rain, Chosun Ilbo reported at the time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why