South Africa: Buffalo and donkey in beef products
Johannesburg: South African food scientists say there is water buffalo, donkey and goat meat in mislabeled South African foods including beef burgers and sausages.
A study published by three professors at Stellenbosch University found that 99 of 139 samples contained species not declared in the product label, with the highest incidence in sausages, burger patties and deli meats.
The study found soya and gluten were not labeled in 28 percent of products tested, undeclared pork in 37 percent and chicken in 23 percent.
Co-author Professor Louwrens C. Hoffman says Tuesday that "This study confirms that the mislabeling of processed meats is commonplace in South Africa and not only violates food labeling regulations but also poses economic, religious, ethical and health impacts." He says no horse meat was found.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test