South Africa keeping Mandela’s health details secret
Johannesburg: South African authorities have insisted that Nelson Mandela’s privacy is of the utmost importance, and defended their decision of not disclosing the name of the hospital where the former president is being treated.
The statement from the presidency came after reports emerged that Mandela was no longer being treated at 1 Military Hospital in Pretoria.
In a statement late on Thursday, presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj maintained that right from the start, no mention was made of the specific hospital where Mandela was being treated, to ensure privacy.
“President Mandela is being treated at a Pretoria hospital as said from the first statement we issued,” News24 quoted Maharaj, as saying.
“We have refrained from disclosing the hospital in order to ensure privacy and also to allow doctors space to do their work of caring for Madiba without interruptions or undue pressure. Madiba is being treated for a lung infection and is well-looked after by a competent medical team,” he added.
Earlier on Thursday, a report by Eye Witness News (EWN) said that Mandela was not at 1 Military, but ‘has decided not to name the Pretoria hospital in a bid to protect Madiba`s privacy’.
EWN said it had spotted several black military police vehicles with their unmistakable yellow license plates parked at the facility (where Mandela is).
According to the report, staff confirmed that Madiba had been treated at the 1 Military Hospital but said they were sworn to secrecy, EWN said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA