South Africa opens largest mosque in southern hemisphere
Johannesburg: A huge mosque complex, largest in the southern hemisphere, modelled on the famous Selimiye mosque of Turkey was inaugurated on Friday by South African President Jacob Zuma here.
Built at a cost of about USD 24 million, the Nizamiye Mosque has become the largest mosque complex in the southern hemisphere by ousting the famous Grey Street Mosque in Durban.
Funded by Turkish philanthropist Ali Katircioglu, 74, it consists of a boarding school, clinic, library and museum.
The clinic was not part of the initial plan, but after meeting former President Nelson Mandela, Katircioglu added a clinic to his plan on Mandela`s request.
The mosque boasts delicate artwork by craftsmen from Turkey who took three years to complete it.
"The opening of the Nizamiye Mosque will complement our efforts to advance the values of religious tolerance and the representation of religious harmony as espoused in our Constitution," Zuma said.
Zuma also lauded the support of the Turkish community in advancing his government`s priority goals of education, health and job creation.
Part of the mosque, which is rapidly finding its way onto must-see lists of tourists, is a museum housing a huge range of Islamic art.
The original Selimiye Mosque is an Ottoman mosque in the city of Edirne, Turkey, built by architect Mimar Sinan between 1569 and 1575 and is regarded as one of the finest pieces of Islamic architecture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister