South Africa police: Blast kills 3 prisoners
Johannesburg: A blast outside a prison in central Johannesburg Monday killed three prisoners and seriously wounded four others, a police official said.
Prisoners trying to escape from custody detonated an explosive device as a van traveling from court approached the Johannesburg Prison this afternoon, South African Police Brig Neville Malila told The Associated Press.
The blast shattered the van`s door and then at least two prisoners tried to flee. Inside the van were 36 prisoners and two police officials, Malila said.
"It was an attempt to escape," Malila said. None of the prisoners succeeded in getting away, he said. At least one of the fleeing prisoners was shot and wounded by the police, he said.
Prisons and police officials later told reporters in Johannesburg that an investigation was under way to determine how the prisoners plotted to escape and what kind of explosive device was used.
Police Maj Gen Oswald Reddy said that "an unknown explosive device was detonated" as the vehicle approached the prison facility. "It was very carefully planned," he said of the plan to escape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city