South Africa police: Blast kills 3 prisoners
Johannesburg: A blast outside a prison in central Johannesburg Monday killed three prisoners and seriously wounded four others, a police official said.
Prisoners trying to escape from custody detonated an explosive device as a van traveling from court approached the Johannesburg Prison this afternoon, South African Police Brig Neville Malila told The Associated Press.
The blast shattered the van`s door and then at least two prisoners tried to flee. Inside the van were 36 prisoners and two police officials, Malila said.
"It was an attempt to escape," Malila said. None of the prisoners succeeded in getting away, he said. At least one of the fleeing prisoners was shot and wounded by the police, he said.
Prisons and police officials later told reporters in Johannesburg that an investigation was under way to determine how the prisoners plotted to escape and what kind of explosive device was used.
Police Maj Gen Oswald Reddy said that "an unknown explosive device was detonated" as the vehicle approached the prison facility. "It was very carefully planned," he said of the plan to escape.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Salman Khan rules 2015 Bollywood Box Office – here’s why