South Africa still remains ‘rape capital of world’
Johannesburg: South Africa’s National Freedom Party (NFI) has said the sexual offence statistics in the country were still very high despite a small decline observed.
“We note that while sex-related crimes... decreased by just more than one percent, these crimes still remain very high as compared to global figures and South Africa remains the rape capital of the world,” News24 quoted NFI president Zanele KaMagwaza-Msibi, as saying.
KaMagwaza-Msibi welcomed an overall decrease in crime reflected in the latest statistics released by Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa on Thursday, and she added sexual crimes were not always reported.
“We call on the government to provide safe shelters for the elderly and orphans, especially in rural areas, as these sections of our population are the most vulnerable to sexual crimes,” KaMagwaza-Msibi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey