South African bank notes to bear Mandela`s image
Pretoria: Nelson Mandela`s face will feature on all South Africa`s bank notes to honour the former president`s role in fighting apartheid, President Jacob Zuma said on Saturday.
The announcement coincides with the 22nd anniversary of Mandela`s release from prison after serving 27 years in jail for his opposition to white-only rule.
"It is a befitting tribute to a man who became a symbol of this country`s struggle for freedom, human rights and democracy," Zuma said.
"With this humble gesture, we are expressing our deep gratitude as the South African people, to a life spent in service of the people of this country and in the cause of humanity worldwide."
News on Friday that Zuma would make an announcement of "national importance”, along with Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan and Reserve Bank Governor Gill Marcus, spooked the market and sent the rand tumbling as much as 2.6 percent on the day.
Marcus apologised for the confusion.
The new notes featuring Mandela, who became South Africa`s first democratically-elected president in 1994, will be in circulation by the end of the year.
The frail 93-year-old has not been seen in public since the closing ceremony of the Soccer World Cup in Johannesburg in July 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!