South African cop filmed beating woman
Cape Town: South Africa`s under-fire police force faced a fresh scandal on Friday after footage emerged of an off-duty officer hitting and kicking an unarmed woman.
The security footage, broadcast by the eNCA television channel, shows the man striking the woman to the ground on a petrol station forecourt before launching a sustained assault.
Two uniformed officers are also filmed at the scene, making modest, and ultimately unsuccessful, efforts to restrain their colleague.
But the solidly built man strikes again and chases the woman, kicking her. As she falls to the ground he stamps on her head.
The two uniformed officers allow the man to leave the scene without arrest.
The assault on the woman was filmed at a gas station on April 5 shortly after 9:00 pm (1900 GMT).
The man was identified as a warrant officer in Smithfield, a small town in the Free State province.
He was in civilian clothes and arrived at the station in a sedan car.
The incident is being probed by the country`s police watchdog.
"We are investigating it," Moses Dlamini, spokesman for the Independent Police Investigative Directorate said.
It is the latest incident of South African police brutality captured on film.
In February explosive footage emerged of a Mozambican migrant taxi driver being dragged down a road while handcuffed behind a police van. He later died in police custody.
Last year, police shot dead 34 striking platinum mine workers, with some of the deaths caught on camera.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre