South African cop filmed beating woman
Cape Town: South Africa`s under-fire police force faced a fresh scandal on Friday after footage emerged of an off-duty officer hitting and kicking an unarmed woman.
The security footage, broadcast by the eNCA television channel, shows the man striking the woman to the ground on a petrol station forecourt before launching a sustained assault.
Two uniformed officers are also filmed at the scene, making modest, and ultimately unsuccessful, efforts to restrain their colleague.
But the solidly built man strikes again and chases the woman, kicking her. As she falls to the ground he stamps on her head.
The two uniformed officers allow the man to leave the scene without arrest.
The assault on the woman was filmed at a gas station on April 5 shortly after 9:00 pm (1900 GMT).
The man was identified as a warrant officer in Smithfield, a small town in the Free State province.
He was in civilian clothes and arrived at the station in a sedan car.
The incident is being probed by the country`s police watchdog.
"We are investigating it," Moses Dlamini, spokesman for the Independent Police Investigative Directorate said.
It is the latest incident of South African police brutality captured on film.
In February explosive footage emerged of a Mozambican migrant taxi driver being dragged down a road while handcuffed behind a police van. He later died in police custody.
Last year, police shot dead 34 striking platinum mine workers, with some of the deaths caught on camera.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram