South African leader suspended for illicit love affair
Johannesburg: The ruling Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) on Thursday said its general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi has been suspended for having an illicit love affair.
"Vavi has been released from all his official duties as the general secretary (of COSATU) during the period of investigation until such time that the outcome of the disciplinary hearing is known," reported Xinhua quoting party`s deputy general secretary Bheki Ntshalintshali as saying.
As the largest of the country`s three main trade union federations with 1.8 million workers, the COSATU is part of the tripartite alliance with the African National Congress and the South African Communist Party in ruling the country.
Last month, a junior COSATU employee accused Vavi of rape, but he said that he had a consensual affair with her.
The central executive committee (CEC) of the COSATU on Wednesday met in Johannesburg to discuss the possible disciplinary action against him.
"After lengthy discussion, the CEC meeting agreed to conduct a full investigation into the allegations," COSATU president Sidumo Dlamini said on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket