South African police arrest man on terror charges
Johannesburg: A South African man accused of threatening to unleash biological weapons on Britain and the United States unless he was paid millions of dollars was arrested on Saturday, police said.
Authorities said they had not found evidence he was capable of carrying out the threats.
In a statement, South African police said a six-month terror investigation by South African, British and US officials culminated with the arrest of the suspect in northwestern South Africa. Police spokeswoman Sally de Beer
said the businessman would not be named until he appears in court on Monday in Johannesburg.
"This biological agent, if deployed, would have caused the destruction of property and resulted in major economic loss," the police statement said. "This was therefore regarded as a very serious threat."
De Beer said the threats were made repeatedly in letters and e-mails. Police were searching the man`s home and other sites, de Beer said yesterday.
The suspect threatened to carry out the threats unless he was given USD 4 million.
US embassy spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau said she could not discuss the specifics of the investigation.
"However we can confirm that this was an ongoing and close collaboration with the South African Police Service, Scotland Yard and American law enforcement based at the US embassy," she said.
Scotland Yard confirmed that its counter-terrorism officers had provided support to the investigation but declined further comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?