South African police arrest man on terror charges
Johannesburg: A South African man accused of threatening to unleash biological weapons on Britain and the United States unless he was paid millions of dollars was arrested on Saturday, police said.
Authorities said they had not found evidence he was capable of carrying out the threats.
In a statement, South African police said a six-month terror investigation by South African, British and US officials culminated with the arrest of the suspect in northwestern South Africa. Police spokeswoman Sally de Beer
said the businessman would not be named until he appears in court on Monday in Johannesburg.
"This biological agent, if deployed, would have caused the destruction of property and resulted in major economic loss," the police statement said. "This was therefore regarded as a very serious threat."
De Beer said the threats were made repeatedly in letters and e-mails. Police were searching the man`s home and other sites, de Beer said yesterday.
The suspect threatened to carry out the threats unless he was given USD 4 million.
US embassy spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau said she could not discuss the specifics of the investigation.
"However we can confirm that this was an ongoing and close collaboration with the South African Police Service, Scotland Yard and American law enforcement based at the US embassy," she said.
Scotland Yard confirmed that its counter-terrorism officers had provided support to the investigation but declined further comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof