South African president at home after health tests
Johannesburg: South African officials say President Jacob Zuma is missing a three-day Cabinet meeting this week while resting after hospital tests.
The South African Press Association today quoted presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj as saying Zuma will not give a planned speech next Monday, a national holiday. Maharaj says the 72-year-old must maximise his rest time and is working from home.
Maharaj says no time limit has been set on Zuma`s break.
The president`s office previously said he was discharged from a hospital on Sunday after a weekend checkup following a demanding schedule.
Last month, Zuma was inaugurated for a second five-year term after the election victory of the ruling African National Congress party, which has dominated politics since the end of white rule in 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured