South Africans launch signature campaign to support Delhi anti-rape campaign
Johannesburg: India-origin South Africans have launched a signature campaign for a petition in support of the thousands of protesters in New Delhi in wake of the gang-rape and brutal murder of a 23-year-old girl.
The petition will be handed over to the Indian Consul-General in Johannesburg on January 8.
"Watching the huge crowds on satellite TV channels, my friend Jitu Patel and I felt that we could not just stand by and watch and felt that there must be many more local and expatriate Indians who would want to show some kind of solidarity with the tens of thousands protesting in Delhi", businessman Hitesh Bhakta said here.
"So we started collecting signatures three days ago for the Memorandum to be sent to the Prime Minister of India to show our support. The response has been quite overwhelming and we have several hundred signatures already," he told PTI.
Nisaa Institute for Women`s Empowerment, started by a group of South African Indian women here to assist women who suffer abuse, has also extended its support to Bhaklta.
"Having just emerged from South Africa`s annual 16 Days of Activism against Violence on Women and Children in December, we identify with and empathise with the people of India in their massive call to action from the Indian government in this matter," said the institute`s Director Zubeda Dangor.
"The eyes of South Africans and indeed the world are on the Indian government to see the result of the action taken in this matter by the Government of the largest democracy on the globe," added Dangor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre