South Africa`s last apartheid President De Klerk hospitalised
Johannesburg: South Africa`s last apartheid president FW de Klerk will be hospitalised to receive a pacemaker Tuesday, his spokesman said, as his fellow Nobel peace laureate Nelson Mandela lies critically ill.
De Klerk cut short a visit to Europe over the weekend because of Mandela`s ailing health, only to fall ill himself.
"He will be going to hospital today (Tuesday) to have a pacemaker installed," he spokesman Dave Steward told AFP.
"It`s a routine procedure. He will spend the night in hospital," he added.
The 77-year-old felt dizzy after his return from Europe on Sunday and saw his physician.
"The specialist recommended immediate installation of a pacemaker," said Steward.
He will receive the device, which helps the heart beat at a normal rate, in a Cape Town hospital.
On the other side of the country, 94-year-old Nelson Mandela undergoes a 25th day of treatment in a Pretoria health facility for a recurring lung infection.
He is in a critical but stable condition, the South African president`s office said yesterday evening.
De Klerk, a one-time hard-liner dismantled the white-minority rule and authorised the release of Mandela from prison in 1990, a decision that changed the course of South African history.
Sometimes heated talks between the two and their factions in the end brought about the first all race elections in 1994 which propelled Mandela to power.
The two men shared the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize for their efforts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof