Seoul: South Korean activists said they have suspended plans for a weekend launch across the tense border into North Korea of leaflets criticising Kim Jong-Il`s regime.
The North has threatened to open fire to disrupt such launches. The latest operation was planned for Saturday from Imjingak, a tourist area overlooking the communist state.
Park Sang-Hak, head of a defector group called Fighters for Free North Korea, said the launch had been suspended until after a funeral service has been held for the mother of one of the activists.
"It`s just a temporary suspension and we will send leaflets once the funeral has been finalised," Park said, denying any pressure from the Seoul government to suspend the operation.
Park`s group and other anti-Pyongyang activists had earlier announced plans to launch 200,000 leaflets plus DVDs and USB flash drives.
These were to contain news of the uprising in Libya -- a topic seen as especially sensitive in the North -- and other material critical of the regime.